When there are slight variations in exercises, the adoption of a new one takes place more quickly. Practicing can be fully effective by implementing different techniques. So be bold in trying something new and constantly evolving at both a technical and a creative level.
Art techniques Visual Arts Portal | Britannica
In the beginning, it can be a bit difficult to start that is why we have gathered some practice examples.
Shifting the focus practices
- Taking the old example about drawing the same thing and also practicing different techniques. Later you can start to add things to this practice, for example, other objects/characters, mixing two or more techniques or materials.
- Take the work of someone else as an inspiration for your work.
- Go for a plein air in the city.
- Try the old practices but in a differen way.
- Take pictures of all the interesting things and objects you see.
All these exercises will help you to develop your style, which is essential for each artist and designer. Personal style will help you to be remembered by others.
It is something important to have especially when you want to impress (e.g. admission board, jury in some competition, or just people around). Even just for you – your personal style is a reflection of your personality.
Remember that personal style can’t be acquired overnight. It takes time to find the right way – to find you. So don’t expect much in the beginning, try out different styles, and don’t be afraid to fail. Your effort will be rewarded in the end!
It is always good to have some support during your artistic journey. Scandinavian Design School is here for you, come and take look at our art courses. Courses — Scandinavian Design School
“Create your own visual style…let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.“Orson Welles
The main picture contains Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres’s painting The Turkish Bath (1862–63)